Friday 25 September 2009

Juno Opening Sequence


The group I was in consisted of Tilly, Rob, Hannah, and me. We planned, shot, and produced this Juno opening scene. It was edited by Rob and me.

Here is the original Juno opening scene which was made by Shadowplay Studio.



Our task was to remake the opening sequence of the film Juno as exact as possible. Our sequence should include the same angles of the camera shots and the same length.

The location could not be as accurate as the location used in the Juno opening which was obvious beforehand because we could not leave the school site.


The first lesson we had about the Juno opening was about analysing and understanding the opening.

At the beginning what we did was splitting into two pairs (Hannah and Tilly, Rob and me) looking at the Juno opening and creating storyboards. Tilly and Hannah did the first part of the Juno opening storyboard Rob and I did the second part. We included the time of each new scene and if the camera was moving or stationary. We also recorded what Juno did so Tilly knew what to do.

After we finished with the storyboards we looked at the props we should bring in on the day we would shoot the scene. Rob got his skateboard, Tilly got the orange juice drink, and I got the red jumper.


Friday last week was the shooting day. Luckily we had a nice sunny day.

I was chosen to look for good locations which we later used to recreate the opening.

We also looked at the original opening for the last few times before the shooting began. Before we could shoot, though, we had to see how the equipment we would later use works. As I already had lots of experience with HD-cameras while shooting the Sawston Fun Run I knew how to operate the equipment. After the introduction we could finally get going.


Our roles were as following: Rob was the director, Tilly was Juno, I was the cameraman, and Hannah, Rob, and I also acted as runners.

We got every shot except one but in the end it did not matter because we could replace it with another shot we did. The unedited scenes looked pretty good and continuous.

After we finished shooting we got back to transfer the material onto the Macs.


We got to edit the opening last Tuesday. Like we did for making of the storyboards we spit into two groups, Rob was in my group.


We decided that I would edit the first bit in the first half an hour, Rob the other half.

We first used 'in and out points' on the viewer to get every scene separated onto the timeline.

After that we cut the separates scenes to the right length and then we looked at the original opening simultaneously and edited it to fit it. We also added a flashing text with JUNO onto the final opening.


I feel that we did a good job by recreating the Juno sequence. It was really fun to shoot and to edit this opening. I do not think that we had any difficulties at all, creating this sequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment